There is so much information available to us to know everything and anything about beer. Any logical pondering and important questions have been asked and answered. So, let’s learn about some of the funny “facts” and figures surrounding beer that you may (or may not) have already known.
- The oldest known recipe for beer dates back to over 4,000 years ago.
- Egyptians built the pyramids while under the influence of alcohol. It is said that workers received around 4 litres of beer per day.
- Next time you’re enjoying a beer, try an experiment: tilt the glass over to see if foam sticks to the side. If it does, it is considered to be a sign of high-quality beer and clean glasses.
- Researchers at Stanford found that beer bubbles move in a gravity-defying loop. Bubbles move up through the centre of the liquid where there is the least amount of friction from the glass, and travel down along the sides of the glass as the top gets crowded.
- To pour the perfect pint of Guinness, you need to wait exactly 119.5 seconds between the first pour and the top-up – a period called the surge and settle. That is when nitrogen is released from the alcohol to form the foamy head.
- Experimenting with the effects of beer has come in the form of many tests, but perhaps no more unique than the one performed by naturalist John Lubbock in the 18th century. Lubbock studied the behaviour of boozed up ants and observed that drunk ants wandering around outside their colony that stumbled upon sober comrades would be carefully carried and brought back to their nest to sleep it off. Drunken strangers on the other hand were physically removed from the nest!
- In Great Britain alone, it is estimated that every year 93,000 litres of beer is lost in facial hair.
- Beer is the third most popular drink in the world after water and tea.
- The Guinness Book of World Records was created by Hugh Beaver, the managing director of the Guinness brewery in London, as a way to settle pub disputes.
Want to learn more about craft beer? Stop by the Ridge Rock Brewery in Carp and sample some of our delicious craft beer we have on tap!