WEST CARLETON – It’s a time of year that brings mixed blessings to the residents of West Carleton – roadwork season is set to begin in May.
While nobody likes being slowed by road construction projects, the state of West Carleton’s roads is the number one issue Coun. Eli El-Chantiry says he hears about from his constituents.
Road resurfacing in Ward 5 begins in May.
“As part of the City of Ottawa’s annual infrastructure maintenance cycle, road resurfacing will occur to improve roadways and the citywide transportation network,” El-Chantiry released in a statement Tuesday (April 21). “The road resurfacing program will begin in May and will continue until the late fall.”
Weekend work is anticipated for all locations.
“Traffic interruptions may also be experienced due to flagging operations,” El-Chantiry said.
The councillor says projects will be going on despite the pandemic, as road construction work has been deemed essential by the provincial government.
“COVID-19 is an unprecedented situation and the City of Ottawa is committed to protecting people and the community,” El-Chantiry said. “The Province of Ontario has deemed construction an essential service and therefore, construction is continuing. The city is working closely with the industry and complying with restrictions and recommendations provided by health officials at municipal, provincial and federal levels and the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development.”
The following roadways will be resurfaced during the day and evening and will involve minor lane interruptions:
- Ferry Road from Alwyn Road to the Ottawa River
- Allbirch Road from Ballie Avenue to the Dead End
- Constance Lake Road from Dunrobin Road to 1050m East of Dunrobin Road
- Huntley Road from Perth Street to Flewellyn Road
- Stittsville Main Street from Flewellyn Road to 100m South of Westridge Drive
- Shea Road from 380m South of Abbott Street to 430m North of Fernbank Road
- Baird Street from Constance Bay Road to Macmillan Lane
- Torbolton Road from Constance Bay Road to Macmillan Lane
- Sandbay Street from Macmillan Lane to Ballie Avenue
- Macmillan Lane from Constance Bay Road to Allbirch Drive
- Loggers Way (1km South of Kinburn Side Road) from Donald B Munro Road to 50m North of Rail Crossing
- Loggers Way (1.19km North of Kinburn Side Road) from 50m South of Rail Crossing to Rabbit Path
- Loggers Way (0.95km South of Riddledale Road) from 100m South of Rail Crossing to 100m North of Rail Crossing
- John Shaw Road (2.5km North of Thomas A Dolan Pkwy) from 50m South of Rail Crossing to 50m North of Rail Crossing
- Rabbit Path from 50m West of Rail Crossing to 50m East of Rail Crossing
- Riddledale Road from 50m West of Rail Crossing to 50m East of Rail Crossing