WEST CARLETON – The National Capital Junior C Hockey League is having a love affair with the West Carleton Inferno, as four players and one coach will represent the team at the Valentine’s Day (Feb. 14) scheduled all-star game.
The 2020 NCJHL All-Star game is scheduled for Feb. 14 at Larry Robinson Arena in Metcalfe. The East Division all-stars will face off against the west division all-starts in an event that will feature the best of junior C hockey in the Ottawa area.
“We had the players vote for who would represent us at the all-star game,” Inferno President and general manager John Miotla told West Carleton Online today (Feb. 5). “With our third place position, we were entitled to send two forwards, one defenceman, one goalie and one coach. “
Representing the Inferno at the 2020 NCJHL All-Star Game will be Corey Symington, Colin Gourgon, Josh McColl-Williams, Nathan Cheung and assistant coach Sébastien Lamarche.
- Symington, from Carp, forward: 26 games played (GP), 28 goals (G), 19 assists (A) 115 penalty minutes (PIM). Symington sits in seventh in league scoring. His 28 goals has him in fourth in league goal scoring.
- Gourgon, Almonte, forward: 25 GP, 10 G, 5 A, 8 PIM
- McColl-Williams, London, defenceman, Inferno captain: 27 GP, 5 A, 22 PIM
- Cheung, Kanata, goalie, 19 GP, 7-10 win-loss, 4.67 goals against average, 1 A, 2 PIM
While the honour to play in the All-Star game is great, the Inferno’s focus is on the rest of the season which includes three games against the Metcalfe Jets with they are battling with for the final playoff spot.
Miotla says the team is ending the season playing the best hockey it has.
“We are very happy that the team is now performing well and that there is a great vibe in the room and on the bench,” Miotla said. “Symington is clearly on fire (16 points in his last three games) but all lines are producing good results game over game.”
With three of the last four Inferno game against the Jets, Miotla is expecting a heck of a finish.
“Our little mini-series with the Jets to end the regular season should be very exciting to watch given there is potentially a playoff spot on the line,” he said. “We hope fans will embrace the opportunity to come out to support the team and help push us into the playoffs. We have scheduled one of our make-up games for Family Day (Monday, Feb. 17) at 1:30 p.m. so younger hockey fans have the opportunity to join us as well.”
The West Carleton Athletic Sports Club will be open for the game offering the opportunity to watch from a great upstairs view with a beverage in hand, “however we remind our fans that gate admission still applies. Children under 12 years of age are always free.”
Regular Season Schedule
- Friday, Feb. 7 – 8:15 p.m. vs Metcalfe Jets at Larry Robison arena in Metcalfe
- Saturday, Feb. 8 – 8:10 p.m. vs Gatineau-Hull Volant at Home in Carp
- Saturday, Feb. 15 – 8:10 p.m. vs Metcalfe Jets at home in Carp
- Monday, Feb. 17 – 1:30 p.m. vs Metcalfe Jets at home in Carp