OTTAWA – Ottawa police arrested one of their own yesterday (Sept. 30) and the officer faces a slew of sexual assault, aggravated assault and other related charges as a result.
“(Yesterday), the Ottawa Police Service (OPS) Professional Standards Section laid multiple criminal charges against a sworn member of the Service,” the OPS released in a statement yesterday evening. “The officer is suspended from duty.”
The charges relate to a domestic situation and the name of the accused will not be released to protect the privacy of the alleged victim.
The accused has been charged with:
• Sexual Assault contrary to section 271 of the Criminal Code of Canada x2
• Aggravated Assault contrary to section 268 of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Forcible Confinement contrary to section 279(2) of the Criminal Code of Canada x2
• Assault causing bodily harm contrary to section267(b) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Assault contrary to section 266 of the Criminal Code of Canada x2
• Mischief/Damage to property not exceeding $5000 contrary to section 430(4) of the Criminal Code of Canada
• Breach of Trust by Official contrary to section 122 of the criminal Code of Canada
• Unauthorized Possession of firearm contrary to section 91(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada x2
• Possession of firearm knowing it is unauthorized contrary to section 91(2) of the Criminal Code of Canada x2
• Distribute intimate image without consent 162.1 of the Criminal Code of Canada
“The charges relate to alleged off duty behaviour between 2015 and 2018,” the OPS said. “The investigation into this matter remains active.”
The officer was released on a promise to appear.
“The OPS will not comment further on the matter,” the police service said.