BARRHAVEN – This week is your last chance to scratch that 2020 New Year’s resolution off your list and get that hazardous waste out of the house.
The third and final extended Household Hazardous Waste Depot in 2020 will be held as follows:
- Dates: Wednesday, Oct. 21 to Sunday, Oct. 25
- Hours of Operation: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Location: Barrhaven Snow Disposal Facility – Strandherd Drive and Dealership Drive
No electronic waste will be accepted at this depot.
To address operational restrictions due to COVID-19 the following procedures will be in place:
- Upon arrival, residents will be directed into a queue where they will wait their turn to park in a designated area. All vehicles will be spaced accordingly, and residents must remain in their vehicle at all times;
- Residents arriving on bicycles are permitted to drop-off materials, and they must follow the instructions provided by staff on site;
- Residents will not be able to sort their material on site. Residents must remain in their vehicle at all times. Staff will remove the material from the trunk of the vehicle by complying to restrictions of physical distancing;
- The depot will accept household hazardous waste only. No electronic waste will be accepted. Residents can bring electronic waste to the Trail Road Landfill facility at no cost or can contact a participating Take it Back member to arrange for proper disposal;
- Bins, totes, gas cans, etc. will not be returned to the resident;
- If using a cardboard box to transport your material, please line the box with a garbage bag for possible leaks;
- The last vehicle will be emptied at 4:00 p.m.
Since occupants are not permitted to exit the vehicle and will not be in close proximity with staff members, there is no requirement to wear a mask or face shield, however, residents are free to do so if they would like.
Visit the Waste Explorer for alternative drop-off solutions.
Residents can safely dispose of many kinds of household hazardous waste yearround. Items including fluorescent bulbs, batteries, paint and oil, can be returned to participating local retailers during their regular business hours. For a list of retailers who accept returns of household hazardous waste, enter the item name in the Waste Explorer.