EOSHL has ‘every intention’ to start season in October
WEST CARLETON The Eastern Ontario Super Hockey League (EOSHL) has “every intention” of kicking off its second season next October.
League commissioner Mitch Gagne released a statement today (June 15) following a meeting with league owners including the West Carleton Rivermen’s Adrian Moyes the night before.
“The EOSHL owners had a video conference call last night and here is some news we can share,” Gagne said. “The rinks start to open in different areas, but all cities/municipalities have different rules as to their health units.”
Gagne says the executive is still waiting for some clarification from the province. This Friday, the province enters Stage 3 of the recovery phase, which does allow recreational leagues to reconvene under some restrictions.
“We are optimistic that Stage 4 will have some clearer guidelines to the game of hockey,” Gagne said. “The league has every intention to start in October and we are all anxious and crossing our fingers that we can get all you fans in the rink to watch your teams play.”
The owners will meet again in a month’s time “and hopefully have good news for everyone.”
The EOSHL, a senior A level hockey league, launched its inaugural season last year. The West Carleton Rivermen were the regular season standings champions but lost the league championship in the final game of the series to the Cornwall Prowlers.
After a successful first year, the EOSHL added three new teams for the league’s second season and will have a seven-team league if things go according to plan this fall.
“Stay safe and hope to see you at the rinks real soon,” Gagne said.