Carbon monoxide leak closes Barry’s Bay arena

BARRY’S BAY – A carbon monoxide leak sent plays and fans to hospital after inhaling the deadly gas at the Paul J. Yakabuski Centre in Barry’s Bay over the weekend.

There were several reports of players and fans attending an atom tournament on Saturday (Feb. 1) showing up at the hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Madawaska Valley Township staff issued a statement yesterday (Feb. 2), saying a representative from the Technical Standard Safety Authority, the fire Chief, and other municipal staff were on-site testing the facility.

At this point, reports show no substantial exposure to carbon monoxide, however, time-lapse testing will continue to locate the source. Doctors from the St. Francis Memorial Hospital in Barry’s Bay encourage anyone who was in the area on Saturday and is still dealing with headaches and nausea to visit the hospital for an assessment. 

  • Courtesy Oldies 107.7 FM