CONSTANCE BAY – Constance Bay resident has amassed a ton of interesting details as he searches for the definitive cause of extreme spring flooding in the West Carleton area in both 2017 and 2019.
This Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 7 p.m., Gerry Blyth will share that information, along with is gathered evidence, in a presentation at the NorthWind Wireless Fibre Centre at 262 Len Purcell Drive in Constance Bay.
West Carleton Online sat down with Blyth last September for an exclusive interview on what his research has turned up. Blyth is an electrical and electronic engineer who is a long-time Constance Bay resident on Bayview Drive adversely affected by both floods.
Blyth is one of the many leading the charge for an independent inquiry in to last spring’s flooding. On Nov. 1 Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry John Yakabuski said his government “was pushing for a full independent review” and had mailed a letter to key government stakeholders requesting support. Since then there has not been a peep regarding an independent inquiry.
In an Oct. 29 interview, Blyth said the process has gone on long enough and it’s time to get angry.
“We need to get bloody mad and we need to raise our voice and demand the following two actions,” he said. “Suspend Plan 2014 immediately and make sure Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence River system, as well as the Ottawa River and tributaries are properly prepared for spring 2020.
“This needs to be done immediately or the Lake Ontario water level will be too high come springtime. (Politicians need to) suspend any action that could possibly result from the recent city re-zoning vote. The Insurance Board of Canada, the insurance companies’ lobby group, to not allow changes to the insurance policies of all affected properties until the result of the flood investigation is published and a cause is definitively established.”