BEAVERBROOK – A row home fire was quickly extinguished early Saturday morning (March 6) limiting damage to the three other houses, but one person was sent to hospital with injuries.
Firefighters from Ottawa Fire Station 42 in Kanata North were first on scene for the fire at 2 Beaverbrook Ln.
“Ottawa Fire Services (OFS) received a single 911 from a neighbor at 12:15 a.m. reporting heavy black smoke from the front door of a home on Beaverbrook Lane,” OFS public information officer Carson Tharris released in a statement yesterday. “Upon arrival, firefighters were being waved down by nearby residents and confirmed smoke conditions, coming from one of the homes in a four-door row of townhomes.”
A working fire was declared at 12:19 a.m.
“Upon initial assessment of the home, black smoke was also confirmed coming from a second-floor window at the rear of the home,” Tharris said. “Fire was discovered in a second-floor bedroom and was quickly extinguished.”
One occupant was released in care of the Ottawa Paramedics Service.
“A fire investigator has been dispatched to the scene,” Tharris said. “Victim Services is also responding. The fire was declared under control at 12:34 a.m. A loss stopped was declared at 12:49 a.m. A patient is in the care of the Ottawa Paramedic Service.”
The Canadian Red Cross and the Salvation Army will both be assisting those affected by this incident.
“We would like to thank the following agencies who collaborated with us to manage this incident: Enbridge, Ottawa Police Service, Ottawa Hydro, Canadian Red Cross and the Salvation Army. Our work together is based on trust, cooperation and a group commitment to service excellence and safety.”
Tharris reminds witnesses to a fire to call 911 as soon as it is safe to do so.
“Remember, you are our eyes and ears to the emergency,” he said. “Our dispatch staff will ask questions to help best locate the incident and assess the conditions surrounding the emergency. We encourage you to remain calm, answer the Dispatcher’s questions and to stay on the line until advised to hang up.”
When the smoke alarm sounds, get out fast. You may only have seconds to escape safely. Evacuate only if it is safe to do so. Take the stairs during an emergency and do not take the elevator.
“Smoke is toxic,” Tharris said. “If you must escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your way out. If pets are trapped inside your home, tell firefighters right away. Do not return inside to retrieve them. Once out, stay out. Call 911 from a safe place and stay on the line until advised to hang up by the dispatchers. If you can safely evacuate please close all doors behind you to prevent the spread of smoke and fire. Oxygen fuels fires so closing doors can help stop its growth. Also, closed doors offer additional protection from smoke or heat damage.”